A method by which the carer can help a client to feel more positive about themselves. This can take the form of:
• Attention – the client feels that a carer is taking time to be with them
• Praise – when a carer says ‘well done’ for a task achieved
• Listening – the client feels a sense of self-worth when a carer takes time to listen
• Seeking client opinions – the client feels that their opinion is valued
• Decision making – the client gains a sense of independence when they are able to make decisions for themselves
• Creating a positive environment, enabling the client to feel at home, safe, happy and positive about themselves.