There are 33 of these bones in the backbone. Each vertebra consists of a body and arch enclosing a cavity, which is called the neural canal. The spinal cord passes through this canal. The vertebrae protect the spinal cord by providing a bony framework. There are different vertebrae which include:
• Seven neck or cervical vertebrae
• Twelve chest or thoracic vertebrae
• Five back or lumbar vertebrae
• Five lower back or sacral vertebrae
• Plus the coccyx (the lowest four vertebrae fused together).